Air freight transport is the physical process of transporting commodities and merchandise goods and cargo by air. It is one of the 3 main modes of transport alongside land (road, rail..) and water transport (sea, river…).
Air freight is generally used when cargo needs to travel a significant distance (land is more efficient for shorter hauls) and:
- Shipments are time critical with speed being more important than cost.
- Cost of a delayed delivery outweighs the premium cost of air transportation.
- Cargo is of high value or sensitive and will benefit from the enhanced security and safety equipment and processes.
- Weight of cargo is very low (50 kilos or less).
- Destination location is difficult to reach by other means of transport.